Best essential oils for Aromatherapy for relief of pain and anxiety in Palliative Care and Hospice
Are you wondering what the best essential oils are for aromatherapy for the relief of pain and anxiety for loved ones in Palliative Care or Hospice? You’ve come to the right place.
Aromatherapy and Aromatherapy massage are two areas that in hindsight, I wish I had been able to help my father with, in his last days. When someone is in pain and feeling anxious, they often cannot explain what they need, but the common unspoken need is for comfort, both mental and physical. To be able to provide comfort for someone in such need, is the greatest gift you can give them.
In the years since his death, Aromatherapy and Aromatherapy massage are becoming more widespread in use and acceptance in the provision of Palliative Care services in a hospice setting and in homes. When used in a hospital or hospice, the aromatherapy is traditionally administered by a Clinical Aromatherapist or Nurse with training. Depending on the care provider, you may be able to request the use of essential oils to treat your loved one. You can also, naturally, provide these services to your loved one yourself.
Aromatherapy is used in the following contexts for the terminally ill person:
- Aromatherapy for:
- Anxiety and Fear about facing end of life (recommendation: Frankincense, Lemongrass, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood and Thyme)
- Releasing and accessing memories for demential patients, increasing comfort and feelings of happiness (Recommendation: Lavender, Cinnamon and Peppermint essential oils)
- Relief of Nausea and Pain Management (Recommendation: Peppermint, Ginger and Spearmint)
- Aromatherapy massage to relieve:
- constipation (this actually creates acute distress in terminally ill patients, as I have witnessed first hand- they want to go to the toilet, they have all the signals and discomfort associated with a full bowel, but can’t connect the dots internally as their body gives way, and no longer does what their mind wants it to). (Recommendation: DigestZen)
- stomach discomfort (Recommendation: DigestZen)
- circulation issues associated with the progression of illness and lack of mobility in final stages (Recommendation: Cypress)
- doTERRA Aromatouch hand massage
- When facing end of life, simple touch is the most important way you can show your love and care. Often we touch a dying person less, because we know that they are hurting everywhere, and we don’t want to cause them additional pain. However, a hand or foot massage is ideal because often the final days are spent in bed or in a chair. An Aromatouch massage does not require the movement of the patient/loved one.
- Aromatouch massage is a simple gift you can give your loved one, by performing it yourself with the help of essential oils and it doesn’t take long to learn how to do it.
- Complimentary medicine;
- Internally as administered when not conflicting with medication and chemotherapy
- Externally/topically for bedsores, inflammation, wounds etc
Examples of current hospices using Aromatherapy programs:
If you would like to know more about using aromatherapy in a palliative care context and AromaTouch Massage, please contact me via the form below. Alternatively you can purchase the Aromatouch essential oil kit. The AromaTouch® kit contains 5 mL bottles of dōTERRA Balance®, Lavender, Peppermint, Melaleuca, Wild Orange, AromaTouch, Deep Blue®, and dōTERRA On Guard®. For a limited time, you will also receive dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil (4 oz.) when you purchase this kit.